Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Everything Is Possible...







It was two years ago that we officially launched "Once Broken."

If you will indulge me...

This story of intrigue, mystery, and violence, at its core, is about family.

I've had readers tell me they found it hard to read because it cuts too close to home.

I've had readers scold me because they couldn't put it down, having to go to work with no sleep because of it.

I've had countless people ask if it is a true story.

I've had people a little shocked at the fact that the same mind responsible for "Flitflee Flanderfoodle" and "Alfred Dinglewiggle" also created "Once Broken."

Most of all, I've had an overwhelming number of readers request that "Once Broken" be the first in a series.


It can be very easy to lose sight of all of this positivity when you are an expert at beating yourself up.


Being an independent writer is tough. It's awesome, but it's tough.


Beyond creating and writing, I need to be my own booking agent, social media manager, publicist, contract negotiator, promoter, graphic designer, editor, and publisher.

I've had to learn things I had no idea I would need to know when the first steps of this journey were taken.

There are a lot of avenues still closed to independent writers. It's getting better, but there is still a bit of a stigma attached to being independent. That somehow the quality of the book is diminished because it hasn't been produced by a big publishing house.

The arts have proven time and time again that the stamp of approval from big companies has nothing to do with the quality of work.

Many independent movies have awesome success in theatres. Independently produced music downloads like crazy. Without independent authors, there would be no Peter Rabbit, Joy of Cooking or Fifty Shades of anything.

Would this journey be easier with a corporate machine steering, paying for the gas, taking care of repairs? Maybe.

Would I be okay not owning the rights to my own stories? Would I be okay with not having a hand in illustration or design? Would I be okay handing my stories over to have them twisted and contorted to fit within the parameters of some algorithm, forcing them to fit within the confines of some monumental marketing matrix? Nope.

So, as an independent writer, how do I measure success? What does that measuring stick even look like?

This is where I come back to the whole beating myself up thing.

Why haven't I been able to make bigger things happen? What am I not doing right? What am I not doing that I should be doing? What don't I know that I should have figured out by now?????????

Once I've taken the gloves off and really let myself have it, my hubby tends to remind me of the positives. He's even gone so far as to find a measuring stick of sorts.

After checking out several sources, this is what he found out.

On average, a traditionally published book will sell approximately 3000 copies during its lifetime. It will sell between 250 and 300 in its first year.

On average a self-published book will sell approximately 250 copies. Period.


"Once Broken" passed that indie lifetime average within 6 months of release.

Every single one of my books has long passed that benchmark.


So, for now, I'm going to do my very best, trading the gloves for the kitten variety, allowing myself to enjoy the positives.

I am forever grateful. For all of it. Books I pour my heart and soul into are being read and shared. They are helping put kids to bed and keeping adults up at night. They are becoming dog-eared and read repeatedly at the request of munchkins in many parts of the world.

So onward and upward.

I have my next two Children's titles at the "notes for illustrator" stage and working diligently on the second installment in the "Once Broken" trilogy.

"Once Battered" follows Charlie through what happens after a life-altering trauma hits your family. Oh, and other stuff...lots...of...other...stuff. 


So, will "Once Broken" ever be picked up by Oprah's book club? Will it ever become a blockbuster movie? Who knows?

Everything is possible. Everything.


I am so thankful that "Once Broken," Charlie, and her family have been so warmly embraced.  I'm so glad that it's reading as real as I could only hope it would during the long days and nights of pouring over words.

For those who have already taken a walk with Charlie, thank you. For those who haven't, I hope you will.





******************************************************************


May we, when we are in the throes of self-doubt, put on the softest of kitten gloves.
May we all take a beat, look back, our footprints are filled with things we've done.

May we know striving for more doesn't mean we need to diminish or ignore past victories.
May we dream, then forge and build, using every single stepping stone created by our histories.

May we truly be open to whatever adventure, whatever opportunity the universe might bring.
May we, when we are in the throes of self-doubt, remember, everything is possible. Every. Single. Thing.


*****************************************************

Once Broken is available digitally on Amazon and through Kobo.

Hardcopies are available in many places, but signed copies can be ordered exclusively through www.margyreidbooks.com


Thank you!!!



*****************************************************









































No comments:

Post a Comment