Saturday, June 18, 2016

To All The Dads, Grand And Otherwise.............








Hi.


Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!



I miss mine. I know it will sound a bit weird, but the times I miss him most is when I recognize bits of him in my husband. How he plays with his grandbabies, sometimes in the way he walks, different mannerisms. Now, there is no genetic way possible for him to have inherited any of these traits from my Dad, so I can only assume these, along with his twisted sense of humour, have been there the entire time. I guess I held on to the best parts of my Dad and subconsciously looked for them when I was dating. 


As I get to know our sons-in-law, I see our girls have done the same.They may not see it yet, but they will.


Dads are so important. They teach their daughters how to trust men, they teach their sons how to be men. They teach their daughters how they should expect to be treated by men, and teach their sons how to treat women. 



This is what I've learned, so far.

Dear Dads,


Be the kind of man you want your son to be. Be the kind of man you would like to see your child marry. 

Know that you won't be a perfect Dad, for he doesn't exist.

Listen to what your children have to say. Really listen. There will come a time when they won't be so eager to talk to you, they need to know they always can, and you will hear them.

Be patient, and when that runs out, be more patient.

Respect is earned, demanding it won't work. Be someone your child can respect and they will respect you, it's simple, really.


Always discipline toward a goal, not out anger or frustration.


You are raising adults, not children. They need to be taught the skills required to function in the world.


Have fun! Time will speed by. In a blink they will sprout wings and leave the nest. Enjoy every tantrum, every melt down, every giggle and every crazy explanation for how the barbie legs and hot wheel cars got into the toilet....this time.



Happy Father's Day!






Well, as you know we attended our nephew's wedding on the weekend. It was pretty fantastic. It was so great to see everyone, go on a bit of a road trip and just hang out.

On the way home, we stopped at a truck stop for a bite to eat. The same truck stop that employed my hubby's Mom some 50 plus years ago. As she passed before I became part of the picture, it was kind of cool to be in a space where she once worked. I can't help but wonder,sometimes, had she been around to meet me, if she would have liked me. All I can do is hope so.


The rest of the week has flown by.

Things are hopping at the shop, I was able to give each grandbaby a squeeze, and was able to make another bit of a dent in my novel.

All-in-all a pretty dang good week.


As for the upcoming few days.............


Date night tonight!


Father's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do our best to make sure nobody misses a camping trip!

Squeeze some munchkins!

Write!!!!




This week, my heart goes out to those who have suffered tragedy at the hate-filled hands of another, at the hands of mother nature, and at the jaws of nature's creatures.

We are never promised tomorrow, don't waste today.



May you never leave a conversation wishing you had said more.
May you never leave a conversation wishing your had listened more.

May you swallow hurtful words, for they could well be the last heard from your lips.
May your last deed be one of kindness, each could be your last, so give up the seat, share the chips.

May you remember there is no kindness so small that it can't be felt.
May you remember a simple smile can soften a soul, help a heart begin to melt.



Until next time..............


www.margyreidbooks.com 

































No comments:

Post a Comment