Friday, November 18, 2016

When Your Boobs Get A Letter........................





Hi!


Grandbabies and supermoons!


In the first photo, you see some pretty sweet faces hanging out in their "nest," watching movies. You also get a little glimpse of the fallout in the background. It was a sleepover filled with giggles, pizza, ice cream sundaes, nerf gun fights, snuggles and grandpa wrestling. Worth any fallout, every time!

The remaining photos are my attempt at capturing the supermoon. It was tough. My camera just couldn't do it justice.



Soooooooo, as a woman in Saskatchewan that has hit the fifty mark, there is a bonus, of which,  up until now, I was unaware.

Here, once you hit fifty, your various body parts begin receiving mail from the health department. I kid you not! I was aware, used to, and came to look forward to,(yeah, not really) the bi-annual love letter to my nether regions, reminding me it was time to be screened for cancer and/or any other evil entities. These letters start showing up, starting with your 18th birthday.

But, unbeknownst to me, once you hit fifty, the invitation to the screening party begins to include other parts of your anatomy, specifically, your colon and your boobs.

With all of the unpleasant, uncomfortable, and sometimes downright painful things we, as women, have to endure, I feel there should be a bit more of a counterbalance involved.

We go through the pain of childbirth, the counterbalance, a tiny human we would easily die for.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt to have a nice glass of wine and a fantastic meal served by the likes of Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson and Brad Pitt waiting at the end of every mammogram.

It wouldn't hurt to have a luxurious spa day coupon handed to us after that oh so lovely experience of the pap.

When you have completed the hot flash-ridden, fog-brained, mystery weight shifting/gaining, hormonal rollercoaster that is menopause, you should get a big fat cheque to reimburse you for all of the pads/tampons/panty-liners you have ever had to purchase, oh,  and a free cruise.

Fair counterbalance, just sayin'.


I will be forever grateful for the fact that by simply being lucky enough to be born where I was, I can receive all of this care, preventative, treatments, procedures, operations and having kids, all without any out of pocket cost to me. I need not buy any extra insurance to make sure I can take care of myself and my family. Something afforded to all of our citizens, regardless of income level or job security.

As of right now, not all things are covered, as we still need to pay for chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, and physical therapy. I'm hopeful that those steps will be taken in the future.

So, although we complain about the tests and procedures that we need to go through, we should always keep in mind all of the people out there who can only look at the care we receive, and see it as some distant, far-fetched dream.

So I will suck it up. All of it. But, I still wouldn't turn down the cruise.


*******************************************

So besides having a sleepover with the sweet faces, the past few days have been a slight pain in the butt, literally.

A few weeks ago I tried to turn my daughter's steps into a slip and slide, and failed miserably. Things were healing up nicely until I did something weird to the already injured hip by doing something so crazy as putting on a boot.

This made me a couch jockey for a good chunk of the week. Apparently, with all of the growth and maturity that supposedly is absorbed through aging, I must have missed the day that covered being a patient patient.  I suck at this. I know it, and I'm trying to get better at it. It's tough when you are so used to being the one taking care of everybody else. Not so crazy about this trip to the flipside.

As for the upcoming days...........

A Christmas themed tradeshow in Swift Current, writing, and working at the shop will be on the agenda. Hopefully, all goes according to plan!


Yeah, like that ever happens! Life would be pretty boring if it did.


That about does it for another week, until next time............


May the fog lift, the cramps fade, and the booby vice be kind.
May you realize, even though, at times it feels as such, you're really not losing your mind.

May the hot flashes hit only, and I mean only, when you feel incredibly, uncomfortably cold.
May they completely bugger off during meetings, in restaurants, and in the checkout line where your groceries are sold.

May any and all news resulting from the indignities endured, be benign.
May you reward yourself, for being a woman can be tough, with some ice cream, maybe some wine.

May you give yourself permission to take real care of yourself, and do it guilt free.
May you embrace the role of care receiver, though foreign, though unfamiliar, when need be.



See you next week!

www.margyreidbooks.com















No comments:

Post a Comment