Friday, March 9, 2018

Women, We Are Enough.....




Hi!

The last few days have been a bit significant for me. There were a few things to celebrate.

I have so many people to thank, please indulge me.


First, this week, I turned 52. I was overwhelmed, in the best sense of the word, by messages, phone calls, texts, and face to face well wishes. Each passing birthday reminds me of how lucky I am to be here, how privileged I am to walk this earth, even if it's with the accompaniment of aches and pains that weren't there last year. There are far too many, younger than I, from whom this privilege has been taken. There are far too many who are desperately fighting for the chance to stay. For me to even entertain the thought of complaining would be a slap in the face of their memories and fortitude.
Yes, I'm 52. I've earned every year, and would trade none, for each has had a hand in bringing me to where I am. Worth every wrinkle.

Then, because of all of you, these ramblings have hit a bit of a milestone. It's a milestone that probably will mean little, or nothing, to anyone other than myself, but it's a milestone, all the same. The powers that be keep a tally of how many times these ramblings are read and the countries from which the perusers reside. They track how many in a day, a week, a month and a running total of readers. Thanks to all of you, the 65000 mark is now history. It's important to me that you understand how it truly honours and humbles me every single week, that you take the time to read the words I put to the page. Please know that is never lost on me. Thank you.

Last, but, by no means, least, this week included the celebration of International Women's Day.
It's a great time to celebrate women, both in history and in the present day who have made, and continue to make huge strides toward where we need to be.

It's also a great time to celebrate the women who have influenced, and continue to influence our lives more directly. Those who have never made and likely never will make the headlines.

For me, the women from whom I descend were and are examples of strength and fortitude. They had to overcome more by the time they turned 30 than a lot of us will in a lifetime. Were they perfect? Of course not, but that simply makes their lives that much more extraordinary.

The women with whom I am contemporaries. They demonstrate the vast varieties of lives there are to live. That each has its ups and downs. That each has merit and value. That living your life according to the opinion of others is a waste of time. That we still carry the strength and fortitude of our foremothers.

The women of future generations. You fill me with hope of what is yet to be. You are finding your voice in a way that history has never seen. The world and workplaces of freedom and equality are within your grasp. You now carry the torch with us, feed the flame, and keep it burning bright. Strength and fortitude run in your veins.

Women. We are warriors. There is nothing beyond our abilities. We deserve every success and every happiness. We are strong enough to show our tears. We are brave enough to show our fears. We are fierce enough to fight. We are enough.


***************************************************************


Well, that about does it for now.....


May you celebrate the fact that you are here.
May you celebrate, without hesitation or fear.

May you celebrate your choices, for they have put you where you are.
May you celebrate your voices, in all of their tones, for they will carry you far.

May you celebrate that you are equal parts gentle and tough.
May you celebrate always, every day, that you are enough.


Until next week.....

www.margyreidbooks.com













No comments:

Post a Comment