Friday, September 21, 2018

Do You Want To Build A Snowman???.....Ummmm.....Nope













Hi!



Okay, I was pretty ready to sink my teeth into the whole Ford vs. Kavanaugh thing that is taking place a bit South of the 49th parallel.

It still might happen, the night is young, and I'm only a few lines in.


Anyway, I was pretty ready, then, I drove home.


Ahhhhhh, the last day of summer...

What better way to end the season than with a good old-fashioned snow storm?!

I know that I live in a climate where the air wants to flash freeze your lungs for a larger portion of the calendar year than seems humane.

I know I live where the wind can carry off a small child more days than it can't.

I know I live where you really can get frostbite and a sunburn on the same day.

Knowing all of this doesn't generally make it easier to accept snow in summer.

Just sayin'...


On the upside, the forecast is calling for October to be mild, and awesome, and warm, and sunny, and unicorns are going to migrate here for the winter.

You pick which sounds most fictional,

I really don't mean to sound whiny, as I know, as I do these other things, that there are others around the world surviving weather and its aftermath on a horrific scale.

Even knowing all of this, (and according to the fortune cookie that was the dessert to a leftover Chinese food brunch this morning, my wisdom is infinitely profound) I can't help but settle on the following conclusion.

Snow, at any point during the summer, sucks.

You're Welcome.


Now about this Ford/Kavanaugh thing...


First, I can't imagine a scenario in which someone would put themselves in the position of receiving death threats and harassment to the point they have to relocate their family, for a lie or for something they are unsure of.

Second, I can't imagine a scenario in which a person trying to carry out an elaborate lie would subject themselves to a polygraph test.

Third, I can't imagine a scenario in which a person who is trying to perpetuate a lie would beg for the FBI to investigate their allegations.

Fourth, I know, and so do countless other women, that when someone is holding you down with their body weight, crushing you, one hand over your mouth, the other trying to strip away your clothes and your soul, you don't forget the face. You don't forget who it was. You don't forget.

Fifth, I can't imagine a scenario in which someone who is capable of perpetuating an attempted rape, at any age, under any degree of inebriation, isn't also capable of denying it. What exactly would you expect him to say?


If you take away the fact that the guy accused of doing this is up for one of the best gigs in the country, if you strip away his privilege, are you as skeptical of his guilt?

If you take away the fact that she is a professor from California, if she is your daughter, your sister, your wife, your Mom, are you as skeptical of her?


When you strip away all of the noise that tries to drown it out, all of the political push and pull, when you strip it down and think back to a high school party in the early 80's, where booze was flowing, and not a parent is in sight, what do you see?


******************************************************************



May the warmth come back before we have to face that long stretch of cold.
May we get another chance for t-shirts, and flip-flops, and find little stands where lemonade is sold.

May we get a bit longer to soak in the sun even as its daily visits have begun to wander toward brevity.
May we have a few more boat rides, and bonfires surrounded by friends, s'mores, songs, and levity.

May we get to enjoy an autumn that longs to linger, that hangs out for a while, that stays at least until the calendar declares it's winter.
May Autumn be a leisurely stroller, a marathon baby stepper, a lollygagging doddler, not a record-breaking sprinter.


*******************************************************************

until next time
www.margyreidbooks.com 




















No comments:

Post a Comment