Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Good, The Bad, And The Pumpkin Pie!




Well, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!



This lovely photo is one of my favorites. It pretty much depicts what was a fairly average day in our house about 20 years ago, lots of "dress-up", and general goofiness! These are my two youngest daughters back in 1992. Now they are 21 and 22 years old, and "dress-up" is an entirely different game.


Back then, Thanksgiving was a mad scramble getting everyone ready to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Trying not to forget anything, diapers, favorite toys to sleep with, gauging how many clothes to take, trying to predict who might and how many accidents might happen, will anybody get car sick? Hoping they will let me sleep while we are there. It might be Grandma and Grandpa's, but it still wasn't their own beds.

The meal consisted mostly of running around getting all the kids a plate, (all being too little to dish themselves out) a drink, helping one make sure none of her food was touching each other, making sure another isn't trying to pass off all her vegetables on her much less picky cousin, wiping up spills and managing to eat a few mouthfuls of cold turkey in the process, all the while trying desperately to at least get close to participating in some of the adult conversation.

Sound familiar?

Now, Thanksgiving is a time to bake a few cookies, maybe some muffins, a pumpkin pie or two, then simply wait for everyone to show up.  Then, when the time comes, and everyone is seated, I get to eat a hot meal! It's Awesome!


So folks, this week was.......well, a little all over the place.


We found out that getting the building for our shop is going to take quite a while yet. It could be the new year before things get settled.


I also received a letter from the Mistletoe and Craft show in North Battleford informing me that they were rejecting my application for the trade show this year. They've decided that this year they are wanting to get some new vendors who have never been there before. It's kind of funny, because being a new vendor was precisely the reason I was turned down by the SunDog show in Saskatoon. They like to keep their regulars.  Thankfully I was able to get two smaller shows to make up for it. One in Macrorie,Sk and the other in Battleford on Dec. 8th. I'll keep you posted.

Then, to top it off, I found out that the Saskatchewan Writer's Guild has put a limit on the amount of readings they will sponsor throughout the school year.  They are now allowing only 5 readings per author. Apparently, some authors are being invited more than others, so they are trying to spread it out. So, if you want me to come and do a reading at your school or library, they said I can still do it, we would just have to arrange it privately. I'm so glad, because that's my favorite part of this whole thing! You can email me at margy_mel@yahoo.ca

I was brought to happy tears when I received a message from a teacher friend of mine as she told me about one of her little students who asked if, at story time, the teacher could read from a book she brought from home, and it was "Lexi's Magic Clothes"!  She, apparently was quick to ask the teacher to be careful as it was her very own signed copy! I can't even begin to explain what kind of a thrill that is.

The week finished strong, with an order for some copies of "Wishes" by the owner of Milbanke's Flowers and Gifts in North Battleford. Is it silly that it still makes me down right giddy when that happens?


So that brings us to this weekend. Kids will be coming with, husbands, boyfriends, friends and babies. There will be a lot of food, maybe a few cocktails, and a wii dart tournament that will probably go down in infamy!


As for the upcoming week.........


Help hubby fix brakes, doodads and whatnot on the RV in our driveway.

Rehearse for upcoming shows.

Do my first TV interview..... I'm interviewing on a show called "Lit Happens" on local cable.......incredibly nervous.(I was really hoping I could do this whole book thing while completely avoiding the whole TV thing, but I guess that's not going to happen..... this will be another GINORMOUS leap outside of my comfort zone!) wish me luck. Hopefully, I won't say anything too stupid, or knock anybody out talking with my hands. (which I do a lot, especially when I'm nervous)

Get stuff ready for trade show in Conquest on Saturday, Oct. 13th from 11am til 2:30pm. (shameless plug)


Well folks, that's it for me, this week...until next time I'll leave you with this Thanksgiving wish...........



May you be surrounded by family, if not by blood, by choice.
May everything joyous be given the loudest voice.

May hearty laughter ring long and loud competing fiercely only with sound of an excitedly, playful squeal.
May the symphony of familiar conversation fill your home with all the comfort of a home cooked meal.

May we pause to remember fondly, those no longer here to pull up a chair, fill a plate, take part.
May we do so with a smile, a song, a story, whatever brings their memory closest to our heart.



All of my books are available for purchase at:

McNally Robinson in Saskatoon and Winnipeg

www.margyreidbooks.com

Everyday Wishes is also available at Milbankes in North Battleford








No comments:

Post a Comment