Friday, August 14, 2015

To Curl Up, Cry, Or Punch Somebody In The Throat, That Is The Question.........................





Hi!



Have you ever been so frustrated you don't know whether you want to curl up in the fetal position, cry, or punch somebody in the throat?




It's been one of those days...........................




First......................music and icloud................


For DJ purposes, I need to have instant access to our fairly extensive music library....all of it....instantly.  Imagine my dismay when I opened up my music program to find that all of my music had been shuffled on up to the cloud.  I can still access everything.....as long as I don't mind a 15 to 20 sec delay in playing, and I have a good wifi connection. Now, the majority of places we play for weddings and other occasions, either don't have wifi at all, or I don't have access to it.

Why don't you use your phone as a hotspot, you may ask? Well a lot of places don't have great cell service either. Even if I could secure magical wifi, 20 seconds of dead air between songs is just not going to cut it.

So, yesterday I began the process of downloading all the music off of the cloud, presumably, back on to the hard drive of my good ol' laptop. Yup, spent three hours clicking my brains out. I was not thrilled when, this morning, I went to continue demonstrating my clicking prowess, and discovered that all of my previous, diligent clicking was for not. Everything had climbed back up to the cloud overnight.


As luck would have it, my big sis is awesome. One of her superpowers is techy crap. Yay! I'm thinking of designing her a cape.........hmmmmm........So she waved her magic wand and I will be picking up a very functional version of what I once had on Tuesday! Did I mention she is awesome?


Last, but oh, not even close to the least...................


So, the debit terminal we use at the shop quit working. Well, not completely, but the swiper thingy was getting more and more persnickety and, I think a little predjudice as to which cards it would read, and the chip reader, well, that hasn't worked since day one.

So I called the help desk. Ooooohhhhhh they use that term extremely loosely....................

45 minutes later, I have new terminal on the way in 3 to 5 business days........awesome......

What they failed to mention, was that they were going to deactivate my current terminal immediately.

Not a good surprise.


So, I was delighted when the new terminal showed up today, actually a day ahead of schedule. The delight quickly faded when I discovered a letter in the box with instructions that involved calling in to the "help desk" to activate the new terminal, as it was sent in "locked" mode..... for my security.

I follow the directions to the tee.....call blah blah blah press "1" for english, enter your blah blah blah number, press option 3........

Now let me be clear, the instructions were plain as day. One number to call. In bold letters, "Call this number to activate your new terminal".

After taking up residence on hold for about 25 minutes, and answering all of the security questions, I was promptly informed that this was NOT the number to call for activation. "You need to call "this" number for that."

Before she can disconnect the call I ask if the number she gave me is for Canadian customers (not my first rodeo with these folks), she assures me that it is. I thank her, and dial once again.

At this point I am beginning to write lyrics in my head for the fantabulous organ/tambourine groove they have going on for the "on hold" crowd.

This time, when they pick up, it's like they are speaking on a cell phone, while riding in a helicopter about 10 feet from the hoover dam. Nice.

After 10 minutes of me getting the lady to repeat herself and answering what I hope are the questions she is asking, I find out that this is the line for American customers. "You need to call this number"

Yeah.

I dial............, this time after I once again verify who I am, and that I have every right to be on hold incessantly for this purpose, it sort of sounds, from what I can hear, that she is making headway in this apparently brain surgeryesque maneuver, I'm on hold.......45 minutes into this call, waiting for a third party to join the party and hopefully speed things along.............tambourines, then silence. Then dial tone...............crap.

I once again convince my fingers to push the buttons, with hope upon hope that I actually get a "help" desk, and enter a conversation that will be productive, uncomplicated and above all, audible.

The phone is picked up by Anthony. A clear, strong voice, no helicopter. Things are looking up, I am hopeful.....................briefly.

He did his best. He really was at least a "try to help" person. But, sadly after a shade over 3 hours, I was informed that he will do his best to help me, and will call me back. Not sure if I'd take odds on that in Vegas...........................


Almost seven hours over two days spent in futility and frustration.

As I sit here writing, I'm still on the fence about the whole curl up, cry or punch somebody in the throat thing. Maybe I will ditch all three options, go for a bike ride, and squeeze a grandbaby or two. No regrets that way, and a lot less chance of getting arrested.

Lesson?......... Patience, I suppose, or maybe, song writing for tambourines............................



Other than the aforementioned crap, the week was pretty awesome. We were able to get all of the needed jobs completed, and didn't even have to stay late for too many nights.


As for the upcoming week?

Prep my now functional music for the wedding we are playing for on the 22nd...........

Fix trailers and things of that nature..........

Run errands............

Kill dust bunnies, and slay laundry monster...............

Squeeze some small sticky people...........

WRITE!.............



Aaaannnnnd that about does it for me for another week....................


Until next time, I'll leave you with this wish.................



May every person at the help desk live up to the distinction.
May being bounced and transferred become a victim of extinction.

May every question you have be answered correctly, with confidence, and clarity.
May each word in the conversation lead you closer to a successful conclusion, prosperity.

May every frustrating task have a favourable outcome, a rainbow at the end of a storm.
May you remember,when there are times the rainbow just can't happen, above all, do no harm.


Until next time, please check out my website....www.margyreidbooks.com















No comments:

Post a Comment