Friday, August 30, 2019

Today Just Isn't That Day...


























Hi!



Life is a rollercoaster.


If yours isn't, you're not trying hard enough...



I could give the usual cliches about the ups and downs, the twists and turns, we've all heard them, and, let's face it, cliches become cliches because they carry truth.


I could give those cliches, but you've heard them before, just like I have. Hell, I'm sure I've used them in past ramblings.


Today just isn't that day.


Life brings a lot of real challenges. Physical health complications, permanent injuries, mental health issues, disabilities, death, relationship heartache, jobs disappearing. Real. Actual. Life-changing. Hardships. These are subjects that need respectful attention, individually, thoughtfully, and with the gravitas they so preciously deserve. I believe this with everything I am, but...


Today just isn't that day.


The world is filled with some twisted and evil individuals, doing twisted and evil things to others for no other reason than they can. They feel they have the right. Some of them have power because we gave it to them, some were born into it, some just assume a power that only lives in their heads. If you read these ramblings with any regularity, you know I don't exactly shy away from these asshats, but...


Today just isn't that day.



Today is the day I'm going to tackle some smaller, but, I believe, still important things.


People often try to fit others inside little boxes, boxes that would make them comfortable. Neat, tidy, little boxes.


I write for children, yes, but that doesn't encompass everything I write.

I'm a Mom, yes, but, I was also a stock car driver.

I'm a Grandma, yes, but I also run a DJ/Karaoke business where I get to sing and entertain.

I'm a Wife, yes, but I am also a business partner to my husband, running a successful RV repair shop.


Boxes are containers. Don't allow yourself to be contained.



It's time for "back to school" where I call home.



To parents... please don't be naive. I hate to break it to you, but, yes, your little angel is more than capable of making bad decisions and having a bad day or two, or five. Always give your kid the benefit of the doubt, but have doubt. Remember, a toddler, barely capable of speech, has the ability to lie their butt off to try and stay out of trouble. Self-preservation is a strong instinct. Of course, they are going to use it. Instead of assuming your little one couldn't carry any culpability, help them to take responsibility for their choices, their actions. Help them to understand that a couple of bad decisions doesn't make you a bad person. Let them learn. As they know better, they will do better.

Your children watch and hear more than you give them credit for. They are learning from you, with every comment, every side-eye, every reaction. They learn from how you treat people. All people. They are not born with prejudices, with judgments, with assumptions of others, these are absorbed from you.

Teach kindness.


To kids... be kind, be empathetic, be accepting, be a good friend. Everyone has different interests, different talents, different strengths, none of which are better or more important than another. Everyone has a different personality, unique and special to them Every single person is equally important, equally deserving of respect, and equally deserving to be treated with nothing but kindness. Be kind.



It's time for harvest where I call home.



For those who may be unfamiliar, it's the time of year wherein the farmers collect their crops from the fields, take them home, to later sell their bounty to the masses. In short, they gather the grains that feed a good chunk of the world.

This inevitably means that there will be equipment being moved, everywhere, all the time. Again, for those unfamiliar, by 'equipment' I'm referring to machinery the size of a small apartment complex. They are huge, slow, hold up traffic, and absolutely necessary.

To the farmers. Please be patient. If people honk, or give one-fingered salutes, or otherwise act like jackasses, be patient. They don't really mean it, they're just late for work, scared they're going to be late, they are frustrated.

To everyone else. Please be patient. They aren't moving this equipment around for the sole purpose of being a pain in your ass. These next few days or weeks dictate their income for the entire year. There are no do-overs or extensions. Their livelihood balances on the tip of a rain gauge. Yes, they choose this life, but they do not deserve your finger, a thank you, maybe, but not your finger. Be patient.


It's time for Pumpkin spice everything where I call home.


You know Fall is on the horizon when the Pumpkin Spice army attacks. The lattes, teas, drizzle, ice coffees, doughnuts...

I, personally, love pumpkin. Real, actual, pumpkin. I'm not sure what "Pumpkin spice" is? Is it a combination of the spices you would put in a pumpkin pie? Does 'Pumpkin Spice' actually contain pumpkin? These are not rhetorical questions, I truly want to know.

As I walk this earth, celebrating Fall "Pumpkin Spice" free, don't judge me.



It's time for the limbo walk between Air Conditioning and Furnace where I call home.


This is where I could go on a menopausal rant about hot flashes, and about how wonderful it would be if you could wear an air conditioner like a backpack.


Today just isn't that day...



***********************************************************

May your first days back in school be magical, finding old friends, making new ones.
May the new things you learn light you up, excite your soul, create memories full of fun.

May you show kindness, be a good friend, include all who want to play.
May you be a good sport, even if the games don't always go your way.

May you know that everybody has bad days, days they feel all alone.
May you know in your heart that other days will be better, you are never truly on your own.

*************************************************************


Until next time

www.margyreidbooks.com

Check out the digital version of Once Broken on amazon:


https://www.amazon.ca/Once-Broken-Margy-Reid-ebook/dp/B071HTFTX6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=once+broken&qid=1567200064&s=gateway&sr=8-1








































No comments:

Post a Comment