Sunday, July 25, 2010

By The Seat of My Pants!

Well folks, had another interesting week with "Lexi."



Monday's Christmas in July fundraiser for our local library went pretty well. We served about 75 people a wonderful home made turkey dinner with all the trimmings, and managed to raise some money in the process.



I did a reading of Lexi between dinner and dessert. A lot of people in a very big space, and about 80% adults! Yikes! I chalk it up to yet another time "Lexi" has taken me waaaayyyyy out of my comfort zone and again I live to tell the tale. lol



Tuesday's reading in Rosetown, on the other hand, was intimate and small with kids close enough that it almost felt like I was back on the floor in my living room, just telling stories to all my munchkins!



Wednesday I had the reading in Dinsmore. My first evening reading, and it was great. A pretty good mixture of both kids and adults. I did acquire an 18 month old assistant at this reading, she was very proficient at helping to turn the pages! There's something I have noticed, especially when reading to women of the older generation. A nostalgic smile slips onto their face and kind of just rests there for the duration of the story. It seems like the book brings back good memories for them. Whether it's their children or themselves as children they are thinking about I don't know. Either way it's nice to see.



Came home to a message on my phone on Thursday. Tunes and Trinkets needed some more books. They had sold the ones they had and have people phoning requesting a copy! It blows me away every time I stop to think for a second that people are actually, buying, reading, and wanting my book!



I can't help but get a little emotional every time I think of a toddler, fresh from their bath, and tucked into bed, with Mom or Dad or both snuggled in for a story and it's "Lexi." It just makes my heart smile.



I did come across somewhat of a problem this week. Although, don't get me wrong, I am in no way complaining. The situation is this; I called my printer on Monday to put in another order for more copies of "Lexi." Imagine my surprise when I heard the answering machine tell me that they are closed for holidays until Aug. 3rd! I'm really hoping I have enough to cover my Outlook reading and then can get a rush shipment in time for Kindersley! It's making me nervous, but there is really nothing I can do about it until Aug. 3rd!



Last, but not least, the wedding we played last night. It was one of the most informal, funny, simple, beautiful, genuine, heartfelt weddings I've ever had the privilege of attending. The crowd was about 75 strong and there strictly to have a great time. It was an honor to be part of it. Oh, and we put on a kick butt show once again, if I do say so myself! lol



Now for the upcoming week;



I don't have any readings booked for this week. This wasn't intentional, but turns out ok, considering my current inventory situation! lol



I do have a call scheduled with the distributor I told you about last week on Wednesday. Hopefully that goes well. I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. But, I guess, it's just another uncomfortable thing I will live to tell about next week! God willing!



Until next week!





"Lexi's Magic Clothes" is currently available:



McNally Robinson Booksellers in Saskatoon

Milbanke's (both locations) in North Battleford

Crandleberry's in North Battleford

Paisley and Polkadots in North Battleford

Our Drug Store in Unity

Prairie Rose Floral and Gifts in Kindersley

Jacq'y Jaye's Gifts and Beyond in Outlook

Tunes and Trinkets in Rosetown

http://www.margyreidbooks.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment