Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hi There,

I find myself sitting here contemplating the past week, and all that did and didn't happen. I started this blog with the promise of taking you on the journey of hopefully becoming an at least semi- successful children's author.

I think it only right, then, to share with you some of the things that may not be directly related to the journey of "Lexi", but things that have a definite impact all the same.

You see, throughout the course of this week, I made phone calls, sent a book for consideration to the Calgary Board of Education (tip from my niece last week) which could land a copy of "Lexi" in most if not all the elementary schools in Calgary. Or..... they could say no, either way, worth the shot. I also, with the help of one of my dearest friends, am getting info on some trade shows, and more signings in the Battlefords. I even got "A Crazy Day" reworked, and another step closer to having it ready for Hazel.(my illustrator).


I was doing all of these things, but somehow I couldn't find the joy in it I usually do. I couldn't put my finger on the problem right away, and then it hit me. Friday marked two things for me. My older sister's birthday, and the second anniversary of the day we put her to rest.

Don't get me wrong, I think of her fondly and often. I find her sense of humor in my writing, I see her in her boys, and often hints of her in my own mirror. I miss her. I miss our discussions about reality shows, our debates about parenting, shopping for purses, laughing, talking for hours about nothing in particular, I miss her.


Most of us have lost someone close to us, and sometimes missing them can hit us out of nowhere. I think it's important that when that happens, we take a minute out of whatever we are doing, whether it be laundry, working, driving, or writing a book, and give their memory a hug.


Now, moving on to happier things, because, trust me, my sister would be the first in line to kick me in the butt for hanging on to the sadness too long.




For this week, I'm hoping to hear from Calgary. I'm going to work on "A Crazy Day." Right now I'm in the process of trying to put to paper a proper description of the pictures that come to my head while writing it, so Hazel can do her magic. I am also hoping to get a couple of signings booked in stores for September, and some trade show dates? As well, I plan on trying to put together a mini tour of elementary schools for the fall.


With that, I will leave you for this week. Oh, one more thing. I'd like to challenge you all to do these things this week.

1. Eat something fattening, without guilt.
2. Laugh until your stomach hurts.
3. Give a stranger a present.
4. Don't do anything that makes you wait in line.
5. Do something you haven't done in at least ten years.(Keep it legal lol)

I would love for you to tell me all about it in your comments!


In the meantime, you can find "Lexi",


McNally Robinson Booksellers in Saskatoon
Paisley and PolkaDots in North Battleford
Our Drug Store in Unity
Milbanke's (both locations) in North Battleford
Jacq'y Jaye's Gifts & Beyond in Outlook
Crandleberry's in North Battleford
Tunes & Trinkets in Rosetown
Prairie Rose Floral & Gifts in Kindersley

No comments:

Post a Comment