Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ramblings and Then Some!


Well hi,

As I sit on my deck, sipping coffee and putting together what I hope to be brilliant ramblings for yet another week, I'm reminded, yet again, how my life has changed over the last little while.

As always, I'm thinking about the way I spent my last seven days, and what the next seven may bring. Compared to even 2 years ago, let alone 10, holy cow, what a difference!

Ten years ago, as I'm sure a lot of you have done, I remember contemplating what my life, and the life of my family might look in ten  years. It seemed so distant. The girls were 14,13,11 and 10. I was working 3 part-time jobs, one of which was the day home. My hubby was working one full-time and one part-time job. We were struggling daily just to keep up with the food and clothing that came with four growing girls.

We worked hard to try and create fun memories for them on a shoestring budget. I know it was hard for them to hear about their friends trips to cabins, Disneyland, West Edmonton Mall, and the like, while they had to settle for games of survivor in the back yard, bonfires in our own fire pit, and the odd trip to the Rosetown pool or Diefenbaker Lake.

As I look at my girls now, I can finally let us off the hook a little for not being able to, and saying no to, giving them all of the material things that little girls may grow up thinking are as important to life as breathing. 

They are generous of spirit, kind of heart, empathic of others, and having "stuff" is not a big priority in any of their lives.

So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is this. For those parents out there who are sacrificing your time with your kids to provide them with "stuff", maybe take a minute sometime and think about your "10 years from now".  It will be here faster than you think, and I can almost guarantee you won't be sitting on your deck, thinking back, wishing you had spent less time with your kids so you could buy them more "stuff."

From one parent to another, which is all this is, try to be mindful and careful of the time spent with your kids. You would be amazed to find out what you can hear from really listening to, not only what they are saying to you, but also what you can learn from the sometimes even more important message that comes between their words.

Wow, see, I don't call this my ramblings for nothing!

So, this past week.

This is where I got off track earlier! Thinking about the "10 years ago me", thinking about the "now me,"? Well, I feel very confident in telling you that having two best selling books on the kids "Bestseller List" at McNally Robinson for an entire week was not even close to being on the radar of what I thought was even remotely possible!
Yep, for the week following my reading/signing, "A Crazy Day" was #1 and "Lexi's Magic Clothes" was #9!

Holy Crap!

It never would have been possible for the "10 years ago" me to fathom that I would be doing interviews with newspapers, booking readings in schools and libraries, and doing all kinds of trade shows all over the place.

Don't sell yourself short, you never know what the "10 year from now" you is capable of!

In the upcoming week,

I need to get the glitch that is happening with my website straightened out. It is down for some reason, and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.
Tonight is the grad party we are DJing for, which is why I am posting this now and not trying to write this tomorrow morning on no sleep. You think I ramble now! With no sleep, you would be lucky if it was written in English!

Also this week I need to get things together for the reading I'm doing at the Kindersley public library on Sat. May 21st at 2pm. The local paper will be there to cover it, so I'm told, pretty exciting!
I also need to get my application for the Unity Trade Show sent away. It's to be held on September 30 and October 1st.

Also putting the finishing touches on a trip to the Battlefords on June 3rd. Will be reading at, I believe, 6 schools that day! Gonna be a blast! I have to say thank you to Lori who put it all together, and to Dana, who has volunteered to chauffeur me around that day. I really don't know what I would do without you two!

Anyway, I hope you have a great week.

In honor of the graduation party tonight:

May you hold tightly to the kid in you, as you let the adult in you shine.
May you boldly step into this next chapter with care, but not fear, for life lessons are but mistakes plus time.

May you follow and chase your dreams until they have no choice but to submit.
May you realize early that kindness will take you much further in life than a stinging wit.

May you now come to the conclusion that your parents are geniuses and not the dimwits you thought they were.
May you discover this now, right now, before all of the "I told you so's" can occur.

May your parents be understanding and supportive of the life choices you will be in charge of making as of now.
May the choices you make enhance your life, always and in all ways, bringing every happiness the universe allows.


Until Next Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment