Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Week Like No Other!


Hi everyone!

Well, this week went pretty great.

I had my readings in Outlook on Monday, and it went really well. I had two groups, Kindergarten and grade one, (approx. 50 kids) and grades 2 and 3 ( another 50). While I was there, I received a great tour of the school. It's very unique with a completely open concept, the library being the center and heart of it all. The kids enjoyed the stories and really loved it when I passed the puppets around afterward for them to have a look. I was asked to come back to the classrooms following the readings to get some pictures taken with the kids. They were pretty giggly when, as the teacher was lining up the shot and counted ...1...2..3 I told them to say "stinky feet" instead of "cheese." It was a lot of fun.

Then, on Tuesday, it was off to North Battleford. There I had 145 kids from kindergarten to grade 3. They came from different schools in the area, and for some of them, as one teacher told me, it was there very first field trip. Imagine, I was there first field trip! Who'd have thunk it!

The library there has a kind of auditorium. It has theater seating in around. It was soo cool! I couldn't post any pictures as they all show some munchkin faces, and I really can't put them on my blog without parental permission. Another thing I've learned. To show backs of heads, maybe a slight profile is ok, just not faces. It's for their protection. That is more than fine by me.

I tell you, it was pretty incredible to hear 145 excited little voices jumping in with the......again, in Lexi, and the .......but instead, in Crazy Day! It floors me when I let myself think about it. This is really happening, this is actually my life, I really get to do this! Unbelievable!

The next morning, it was off to an  elementary school in Battleford. The public library was the official host of the event, but instead of trekking the kids from the nearby school to the library they invited the preschool kids that come to the library, to the school instead.

This is the place depicted in the photo. The age range here was about 18 months old to grade 4. There were about 60 kids and the reading took place right after recess. One word.....adrenaline.  They were a great group. While I was reading Lexi, one of the times where she changes her clothes....again, one little guy asked me how I know that's what happened.  I just told him "because I wrote it." Everyone had a little giggle and we moved on. Not easy getting heckled by 6 year olds!

All in all, it was a great trip, the books and puppets were a hit, it was great to catch up with a dear friend once again, and to top it off, the weather was amazing!

Since I've gotten home, I did get the Disaster relief thing sent off, tried to get some house stuff done around this construction mess I call a home, and did some laundry. I still haven't tackled the Halloween Costume problem and really need to take care of that, the show is Saturday night!

Before I leave you, I just wanted to share a little story about the three old little man who is my grandson.

The other evening, at the supper table, his Mom was trying to get him to eat his vegetables, which is always a bone of contention with this young man. He looked up at her and said " But Mom, I can't eat these veggies." She, of course, asked him why not. His reply," I can't eat them because vegetables are oppressing." Now, trying very hard not to laugh, my daughter asked him, "Oppressing, do you even know what that means?"  His answer, " Yes, it means I don't like them and you are going to make me eat them anyway!"

Yeah, kids are way smarter than we give them credit for, 99% of the time!


Well folks the upcoming week will involve:

Halloween stuff, work, bathroom, Halloween, work, bathroom etc. Hey, if you have any brilliant costume ideas, please let me know!

P.S. Could very well have jacuzzi bubbles and a door by the end of the day! Getting closer!!!!!

On a more serious note, we all know that October is Breast Cancer awareness month, and this time around, I was brought face to face with a situation in which a wife and Mom of two young boys found herself in surgery fighting this horrible disease.

My heart goes out to her and her family and all of the families in the clutches of this horrific thing. Hopefully someday soon, an actual cure, or better yet, a prevention will be discovered. Let's hope.


Until Next Week,


May you find strength you never knew you had, and fight with everything you are.
May those around you give the support you need, be it an ear, a shoulder, a sharing of a scar.

May you accept the support without hesitation, for it takes courage and not weakness to embrace it.
May you set aside the supermom syndrome we all suffer from at times, put down the cape, release it.

May you come back from this, healthy and strong, and take back your long and happy life.
May you be able to spend the rest of your days on this earth who you are, a strong and loving Mom and wife.



www.margyreidbooks.net

No comments:

Post a Comment