Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back To School!



In

Hi folks!


By the colour of the landscape and the droop of the blooms, you can tell that summer in good ol' Saskatchewan is drawing to a close.

The sounds of swathers, combines, and trucks fill the air and their bulky masses crowd the roads as they move from field to field. It's a chaotic time for our farmers, we wish you a bountiful and quick harvest with minimal break downs and nothing but co-operative weather from here on out.

I say from here on out because last night's weather definitely threw a proverbial wrench in into the whole harvesting thing.  There was thunder and lightening like crazy, wind that shook our little camper to it's limits, and pounding rain to round it out. I don't think there was any hail, though. Thankfully.

Today, it's supposed to clear up and Mother Nature is supposed to behave herself again, at least for the next week, or so. Sometimes, I think she's menopausal.

Last week, I told you about my cousin losing her son to addiction. Her, her husband, and the rest of her family have now started a music scholarship in his memory and are trying to share his story as much as they can. They don't want to see another family have to go through this, and are willing to put themselves out there, to do it. Addiction is a sneaky seductress, and no one is immune to her charms. Be aware. Be present. Know your kids' friends, where they are, who they hang with. Know, that even if you do everything "right", your child is not immune. Please don't get caught up in the "my child wouldn't do that" syndrome. Your child is human, your child is a child, they are not immune.


On a happier note........


Our show in Luseland was just what the doctor ordered. A good time with some great people. Always a cure for what ails ya!

We found a young guy in the crowd with a great voice, singing songs written decades before he was born, and doing them real justice. I love it when that happens.

We also were able to sneak a visit in with my brother and his family. He and his "soon to be" missus, are in the throws of wedding planning, and I have to say, it's awesome to see him light up like he does whenever her name is mentioned.

It was another busy week at the shop, it couldn't be better. We are finding our groove with this business, I guess,  just like we have with everything else in life. You carve out what works for you and go with it.


We are getting to meet some great people from all over the place. This week, we had a young family from Australia come in to see us. They came over so he could fly a spray plane, and while he was doing that, his wife and daughter have taken it upon themselves to do some incredible sight seeing in the motorhome they purchased in Vancouver, when they landed. I'm ashamed to say they have seen more of Canada in the last month than I've seen in my entire life! It sounds like they've had a fabulous trip, so far, and are planning to see more as they make their way back to Vancouver for the trip home, only this time Dad gets to come too!

So, for the upcoming week.............


Hopefully I hear back from my printer. I am down to my last copy of "Lexi's Magic Clothes" and my last few of "A Crazy Day". I have a some trade shows, readings and the "Word on the Street" festival coming up, so I'm going to need some, for sure.

I'm excited to put on my "author" hat again. Hopefully it still fits.

Some copies of "Everyday Wishes For Your Extraordinary Life" have found new homes in the hands of some people celebrating their birthdays. I can't explain what an honour it is to have something I actually sat down and wrote be deemed worthy of a being a gift. I know some have been given for shower and wedding gifts, as well. It just thrills me in ways words can't do justice.

I know this may not sound like much, but on Saturday, one week from today, I'm going to go get my hair cut. It is sad that I'm this excited about it, I know, but I haven't had a chance to get it cut since March. That, my friends, is a loooong time for someone with entirely too much hair. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that I have a healthy, full, head of hair. I will likely die long before I will ever be bald, but, I kid you not, I will just as likely weigh measurably less when I come out of the salon, than I did going in. Cheers to those with skilled scissors!


Well folks, that about does it for me, this week. I am actually writing this from our camper, thanks to the help of some facebook friends that are much more tech savvy than I.  It's time to go and take up some trashy reading material, turn on some tunes, play some ladder golf, and maybe, later take in a movie with my honey.


Have a great Labour Day Weekend!


With "back to school" upon us, until next time I will leave you with this wish...........




May your first steps into kindergarten be exciting, happy, and full of anticipation.
May you find fast friends, confidence, and the bravery needed for full participation.

May your steps into the middle years be fun, confident and sure.
May you find true friends, for with them, the rough spots will be easier to endure

May you walk into high school, head held high, with courage and with strength.
May you keep clear of the inevitable drama, it will come from all directions, and at length.

May you walk into college with an open mind, hopeful heart, and the beginnings of your true sense of self.
May you thrive in the knowledge that your education is about so much more than you will get from any text book on any shelf.


Until next time!

www.margyreidbooks.com





















No comments:

Post a Comment