Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mommy's Day!




Ahhh Mother's day.......the day of very creative and interesting breakfasts, jewellery fashioned out of the world's finest macaroni, giant hugs and wet kisses only outshone by the excited anticipation in the eyes of the little faces you love most in this world.


Yes, there are days when we question our decisions, our abilities, our actions, our reactions. There are probably times when we should. But, in my humble opinion, we probably, in most cases, should be cutting ourselves a break.

I don't think there has been a time in history when there have been more demands on Moms, and Dad's too, for that matter.

From what I can see from where I sit in this world, for it's the only view available to me, is this:


The days of supporting a family on one income are long gone, except for a very fortunate few. There seems to be so much more pressure to have your child in every activity available, for fear they won't be "well rounded." There seems to be so many more rules, contrary opinions, and studies. It seems to me, that an extraordinary amount of time, effort and money have gone into the "study" of raising children. Something generations have been doing relatively successfully for thousands of years. Yes, thankfully, parenting has evolved from the "spare the rod, spoil the child" days, but that happened over time, with each generation learning from the generation before. My parents came leaps and bounds from what they grew up with, we stepped it up from there, and, I'm sure, our kids will take it up another notch. This evolution stems from love, not science.

I can't help but feel that the pressures to eat organic, let your child sleep with you, don't let your child sleep with you, to breast feed, but, heaven forbid, not in public, bottle feed, trying to teach your child to read at 2, trying to potty train before they can tell you anything, let alone if they have to go to the bathroom or not, orchestrating lavish birthday parties, running to gymnastics, dance class, music lessons and swimming, all before they have started kindergarten, has elevated to a pretty unmanageable level.

From what I can see from where I sit in this world, for it's the only view available to me, is this:

Release the pressure.......

There is no such thing as a perfect childhood. You didn't have one, I didn't have one, and, I hate to break it to you, your child isn't going to have one. No matter how you run, how fiercely you protect, whether they sleep in your bed or not, music lessons, or not...... life will happen to your child. Our one and only job is to help them develop the tools to deal with it when it does, and to be kind along the way.

Taking part in activities should be fun for everybody involved. If they aren't, what's the point? Life provides enough "have to's" don't ya think?


I think society's pressures are slowly sucking the fun out of parenting all while convincing these same parents that the opposite is true. The best memories are usually created by accident, anyway.

But, this is just what I can see from where I sit in this world, for it's the only view available to me.


So tomorrow, on Mommy Day, accept the macaroni from the sparkling, giant eyes that live on that tiny, sticky face with the tears in your eyes brought on by a love so big, you thought it was a myth.

Over the years the macaroni becomes precious time spent, the giant eyes sparkle on a wiser face, but, the myth never fades.

Happy Mommy Day!


Soooooooooooooo, this week......................


Things have been going great at the shop. We are busy, and every day, bring a couple of people closer to the lake.

I received, this week, a lovely letter from my favourite courier company. It explained, how they regretfully had to inform me that there is nothing they can do for me, due to their policy. By contract, they are not responsible to unforeseeable delays.  I felt it was my duty to regretfully inform them that the delay was not "unforeseeable", it wasn't even a delay. It was a case of their driver not wanting to make a right hand turn. I also felt that the "contract" they are referring to was with the shipper, not me. I agreed to no such clause.

I haven't heard back.........yet. I still have a couple of rungs to climb......

So that about does it for me this time around........time to kick back, smell the roses, and enjoy Mommy Day!

Until next time.......................


May you know that from your first flutter to my last breath, I'll love you with everything I am.
May you see that even though I'll make mistakes, I'll always do the best that I can.

May you know that as you go through storms, if you need, I'll help you ease your pain.
May you see that sometimes, it's just better to kick off your shoes and dance in the rain.

May you know, without a doubt, what an amazing gift you have been to the deepest part of me.
May you see that without you, this fantastic journey, just...wouldn't......be.

May you know that even though I'll make mistakes, I'll always do the best that I can.
May you see that from your first flutter to my last breath, I'll love you with everything I am.

Until next week.....

www.margyreidbooks.com














No comments:

Post a Comment