Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fifty Shades Of Controversy




Yup, it's still winter, still cold, still snowy......nuff said......aaaaaand moving on................




Hi!



Have you ever noticed, that in social media,  tv news, and many other sources from which we gather our information, "controversy" usually stems from things that really shouldn't hold actual controversy in any real sense of the word?


It seems to me that a lot of things labelled as "controversial" really aren't, if given a bit more thought. To me, in order to have real controversy, both sides of the scenario being disagreed upon need to have validity.


For instance, when it is discovered that someone in authority, has abused their power to molest, persecute, bully, or to perpetrate some other equally horrible thing, this is not "controversy." Controversy requires two opposing sides. I don't think anyone is "for" this kind of crap. At least I hope not.



I think the confusion comes in when judgement and opinion are inserted, replacing solid stance.

A case in point ..........


There has been much ado about the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey."  It has been labelled controversial because it is perceived, by some, to promote violence against women.

Well, my hubby and I went to see it for ourselves, and here is what I came away with............


First, let me make it very clear that this is not a movie I would like to sit and watch with my Mom....

yeah....no.....


It is pretty explicit in places, and no, it doesn't leave a whole lot to the imagination.

But, as I sat and watched, I didn't see anything that I would perceive as particularly sexy. On the screen, what I saw unfold was a story of a broken young man who was sexually abused as a child, and a very naive college graduate, both of them intrigued, confused and frightened by what they were discovering about each other and within themselves.

I discovered nothing that "promoted" violence against women. If there was a point made in that realm, I would say it was more toward empowerment, as she decides her fate. In this story, "no" still means "no", and nothing is done without consent.

If there is to be an argument made about the media and the glorification of violence against women, you should check out some old westerns, and in real life, maybe some court cases, where domestic violence, rape, or child abuse is concerned. Sentencing, when it gets that far, is a joke.


Although this was far from the best movie I have ever seen, it's also far from the worst. Oddly, it's merit, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with it's sexual content whatsoever. Go figure.

So before you pass judgement, or form an opinion, please see the movie, or read the books. If you don't like it, or choose to pass, that is fine, you are entitled to your own tastes. But please, don't label food you have neither tasted, nor made, so there is no way you could possibly know the ingredients from which it's produced.


And that is simply my opinion, worth no more or less than that of anyone else.




Soooooooooooooooo.........................



The past week has been pretty productive........

Got some work done at the shop, where things remain, thankfully, very busy...........

I was able to put the finishing touches on the prologue of the novel I'm working on, and get some mapping done for upcoming chapters..............


I was able to make some headway on "Flitflee"............

I'm still finding it pretty challenging to write both simultaneously......working on that..........


I was able to sneak in some quick grandbaby snuggles.............

Killed some dust bunnies......did laundry.....and other glamorous things.......


As for the upcoming days.............


Having company for supper tomorrow night..........

Watch the Oscars.....................

Go to work at the shop............

Squeeze grandbabies..........................

Put some more meat on the bones of the books I'm writing......................


Should be a good week!!!!!



So that about does it for me for another week!


Thank you all for taking the time to read these ramblings each week. It never seizes to amaze me, and I'm forever grateful for your support.


Until next time, I'll leave you with this wish...........................



May understanding settle in, helping differentiate, perception from fact.
May judgement of what is not known be avoided, as ignorance should motivate no act.

May we see our beliefs as that, ours, content to appreciate that others may not agree.
May we accept that this does not make them "wrong", it simply means, like ours, their will is free.

May it simply be accepted that we all have our own road to travel, our own rhythm in which to live.
May we see that ours is no better or worse than those of others, just different, acceptance is ours to give.


















No comments:

Post a Comment