Saturday, January 23, 2016

After The Stripping Comes The Paint!


Hi!




Yes, the stripping is over and the paint is on the walls, and the windows, and the mirrors, and the kitchen floor somehow, oh, and me. A lot ended up on me. Oh, did I not mention the fact that I am, by far, one of, if not, the worst painter?

My intentions are always good, and I really do try, but I inevitably end up with paint where there is not supposed to be paint. As the hubby's back is still not 100% after a fall a while back, there was no way he was going to be able to do it all, so he was stuck with me for an assistant.

In doing past projects, we usually have had a daughter or two around to lend a hand with painting. All of our daughters have long surpassed me with painting skills, and I do mean long. Generally, by the time puberty hit, they were better at it than I. Not that that is saying much. It's kind of like bragging about being the tallest person in a room full of toddlers.

This time, the only help my hubby had was me. Poor guy.


It was interesting to see the room stripped down. It had been the same since we moved in. Sure the fixtures were swapped out when necessary, but the walls and ceiling had always remained the same. Pictures stayed, were added, stayed, and added to some more. Since 1994.

To see what made the room "us" ripped from the space was strange. But good.

Sometimes it's good to strip things down, shake them up a bit, rearrange, freshen up, then put the things that matter back in the space.

When your putting it all back together, it gives you a great opportunity to thoroughly examine what you want to put back in, and discard what doesn't work anymore.


Even if it's not perfect when you're finished, it's all good. There are an unlimited amount of do-overs to try and get it just the way you'd like..... if you're willing to put in the work.


Along with giving the living room a bit of a face lift, (including adding a couch that was described by our in-house 3 year old furniture critic as "huggy" compared to the old one, which was apparently more on the "squish squish"side) it was a week filled with work, mini-road trips for parts, and even a bit of writing.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to get to do just that. I was able to make some progress on the layout of my new kids' book and add some story to my novel.

The upcoming few days are lining up to be, thankfully, just as full.


Work at the shop, some grandbaby snuggles, and more writing. It doesn't get much better than that.




Well, that about does it for another week.

Until next time, I'll leave you with this wish...........




May you make room in your life for what works, discarding what no longer does.
May you see that it's not possible to grasp the new if your hands are full of what was.

May you see the merit is stripping down, removing distraction, so you can get an honest feel for the space.
May you see, without the clutter, it's all yours, to create whatever, fill it only with what you truly want to embrace.

May you, when you think your through, know you're not, for no room is ever truly complete.
May you see that this too, is simply a stretch of time, for as needs change, we can only either evolve or deplete.


Until next week........


www.margyreidbooks.com















No comments:

Post a Comment