Friday, March 4, 2016

Like A Fine Wine......With A Body Shot!



Hi!


Well folks, these two photos have something in common. Can you guess what it might be?





Well, other than the fact that they both have their purpose in life deeply defined by babies, and can both be full of crap at any given moment, they both are turning 50 years old!


The first photo is pretty self explanatory, the second is me, at about 2 or 3 years old.


50. So what does 50 look like? What does 50 feel like? I can only speak for myself, so here it goes.



For me, fifty is first and foremost, a privilege. Too many leave before they reach this threshold of time.  Too many.

I've made it to fifty. It's absolutely a privilege, but it is not without it's challenges. At fifty, the body is not necessarily as cooperative as it was a few years ago.  Sitting too long, reading small print, peri-menopausal crap, all of a sudden being very aware of where every single one of your joints are located, these are some new things a person has to become accustomed to.

On the up side.....


As the years pass, I'm finding my skin to be a better and better fit, even if it's a bit looser and has a few wrinkles. Every passing year brings me closer to who I am supposed to be. Life's experiences have made me a better navigator. The paths to where I am to go become clearer more quickly than they used to.


I've learned to care deeply and help those that I can. I've learned to care deeply, but let go of those who can't reciprocate.  I've learned to recognize poison and be fine with cutting it from my life.


I've learned that growing older isn't scary, it's empowering.  I've learned that confidence and intelligence are ageless.

I've learned how important it is to stay curious. Listen to new music, read....everything, talk to people....lots of them, do things....always. Purposefully experience things that make you uncomfortable, it's the only way to grow.

 I've learned that "comfort zones" are a myth invented by fear, and nurtured by insecurities. Obliterating the terminology frees you to do what you are meant to do. Life is infinitely better when fear makes no decisions.


I've learned that drama serves no purpose but to entertain. I have found that those who like to create drama are generally bored people who have to manufacture excitement because they have seized to create any kind of real joy in their own lives. If even half the energy put into creating drama was put into creating joy, imagine the world we could live in.



I've learned the importance of a really good bra, foot rubs, and laughing til you either cry, pee, snort or experience some combination of the three.

I've learned the importance of healthy relationships in whatever form they take. We all need people in our lives from whom we don't need to protect ourselves in any way.

I've learned that we will always regret more the things we don't do.




I've learned a lot of things,the most important of which is that I have an infinite amount left to learn. I've only barely scratched the surface.


I'm excited to find out what is yet to come...............................




In the immediate future..................



My hubby is taking me out for a night on the town tomorrow night. He asked what I'd like to do for my birthday.....my reply.....As long as I don't have to plan it, cook it, or clean it up, I'm good!  My honey is awesome, looking forward to whatever he has up his sleeve!



I will be awaiting the first Flitflee Flanderfoodle sketches from my illustrator, Valerie......so excited !



Start prep for doing a writing workshop coming up, a workshop for kids about writing for kids. Going to be a blast!



We are on standby for the new grandbaby- have a bag with yoga pants,t shirt and runners on me at all times!


Until next week I'll leave you with this wish for all my fellow quinquagenarians.




May the smoke from blowing out the candles on your cake not set off any alarms.
May you ride out all the smart ass jokes, menopausal or not, do no harm.


May you celebrate this milestone with dignity befitting your age.
May you interpret that as you will, it could mean doing body shots and dancing on stage.


May you have a healthy view of what today's 50 looks like, as it really does vary.
May you see we are in good company with Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Halle Berry!


Until next time!


www.margyreidbooks.com





No comments:

Post a Comment