Saturday, March 16, 2013

Yep....Still Snowing! 'Nuf Said.....




I know it's pretty, I know it conjures up visions of skiing, hot chocolate, and skating on ponds, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, flippin' blah. 5 and 1/2 months of being buried in snow is quite enough! I crave the sight of grass, leaves, flowers! I long for days covered in sunscreen instead of head to toe woolies! I'm looking so forward to playing in puddles with the grandbabies! Spring officially begins on Wednesday, I'll believe it when I see it!



Sorry........but I feel much better now!


Tonight, my hubby and I escaped the four walls, and went to a movie. The premise of the movie was that of a set of grandparents, who only every got to see their grandkids about once a year. It also shed a light on the importance relationships between kids and their grandparents can have.

It's amazing what an impact the perspective of a different generation can have.

I remember very distinctly the roll each of my Grandparents played in my childhood. My memories of my maternal Grandparents are... for lack of a better word...... crowded. There were always alot of other grandkids around, somebody getting a diaper changed, somebody getting a band aid put on the latest owie, someone tattling on someone else, endless games of tag, cards being played, cookies getting passed around, and of course, Grandpa always finding a few minutes to sneak you a butterscotch candy from his secret stash.

My paternal Grandparents were older, their house more subdued, we, most often, were the only grandkids there. Here is where you were seated quietly and given lovely, delicate, whispers of homemade sweetness. Here you sat at Grandpa's feet, outside, and listened in wonder as he named and told you stories about every bird, every tree, every everything. Here is where you would stand beside Grandma's wheelchair, as she gently rubbed your back and asked about things that mattered.

I cherish my memories of my grandparents, and am forever grateful for the stamp they put on my life.They weren't perfect people, my parents' parents, but they gave me a sense of history, a sense of belonging, a sense of myself and my place int the world, that, I think, can only come from Grandparents. 

Now, grandparents are not always blood related. DNA is never a prerequisite for family. We all find people throughout our lives who are those people. You know who I mean...the lifelong friends, the people you meet, young or old, man or woman, with whom something just clicks. You've just met, and you feel like you've known each other for a long time. Don't devalue the power of the relationship because you don't share a bloodline.

All I can say for sure is this. As a fairly new grandma, I will do my very best to cultivate and nurture relationships with every grandbaby that comes my way. Both, those who swim in my gene pool and those who don't. For those that do? A word of advice....bring a life jacket, it gets a little crazy in the deep end!


As for the past week? Well, we were able to, get the job done in Pike Lake, get orders in, key chains, brochures etc., and we were able to reserve a phone number! I have dates set up for phone and Internet set up, and am currently trying to figure out the nuts and bolts, so to speak, of running the store part of the business.

This next week, is more of the same......getting everything in place!

And, just to let you know, I haven't forgotten about my next book! I am working on it, whenever I get a chance, and am determined to have it out for Fall!


That about does it for another week, as for my wish this week.......

One for the Grandparents.......



May you seize every chance to play, to dance, to snuggle up and watch cartoons.
May you "itsy-bitsy-spider", "ring-around-the-rosie", and "this-little-piggy" until you swoon.

May you take the time to really listen to every nonsensical tale woven by imagination abound.
May you let go, and join in to create stories of giant, purple butterflies that carry sheep around.

May you have giggle fits as you play with them in forts made of blankets and dining room chairs.
May you colour outside the lines with them, creating a world of wonder, one with many layers.

May you see in them, your child, and the one that you once were.
May you be for them, a champion, for someday, they will need one, life has taught you this, for sure.


Until next time.......

www.margyreidbooks.com










No comments:

Post a Comment